Thursday, March 20, 2008

Kant

Notes from UCSC, Politics 105d with Robert Meister

Kant, or the end to all those drunken free will debates.


Kant wanted to be able to say, not that I can know, not that I am governed by me and not you, not am I actually free
But how can I act consistently with the possibility that I am free?

Kant seeks to show that freedom is a potentiality

I can act consistently with the belief that I have dignity even in this body
I can test to see if I have freedom or dignity

Kant's test is the categorical imperative
World of reasons­=anyone can do, aims, free will
World of cause­=one after the other, paths, linear, mechanistic, determined
How can I make my own freedom intelligible to myself without being able to know if my freedom is a reason or a cause?
(The Lacanian real is what is left out between reasons and causes)

I must test reason to see if it is consistent with my freedom:


I imagine myself as a legislator, and everyone had to act on this law as a causal necessity. A universal law of nature, so that everyone else had to obey it the way rocks fall.
Would I still do it if everyone else was causally forced to?

If this were a law of nature, Would it still be a reason?
Is acting on self interest ethical?
For Adam Smith: yes!

If everyone else had to be altruistic, and only you had a choice, would you be altruistic or would you be self-interested?
If everyone else in the world was forced to assume the social identity you have, would you keep that identity or forge a new one?
Is your life a reason or is it a cause?

No comments: